Saturday 6 August 2011

The War of Displacement... by Zombie - Khrist

While checking twenty twelve models -wow it's amazing how fast time goes!- I found real curious that all Harley models that sport a big twin, have been increased to 1,688, which makes them a nearly seventeen hundred engine.

I really don't know if this change was really needed, however, they are now facing a brand new chapter in motorcycle history. Back in the old days, Harley was the captain of all cruisers, and they ruled the world with an iron fist. These days, however, we can find bigger engine and similar bikes just by going to Japan. The impressive Suzuki Boulevard M109R, the bulky Vulcan 2,000cc, or even the Vulcan 1,700 were perfect examples.

Out of Japan, Victory is making bigger engines too, not to mention the bulkiest of the bulkiest Triumph Rocket III. So I really don't know what the reason is for such a small increase of the displacement, but something's telling me that Harley wants to look face to face to its competitors, who are now ruling the cruising world enough to make Harley Davidson tremble.

However, Harley's best seller in history -and currently- is the Sportster 883. Displacement is driving all of us crazy... but if I had the chance, I swear I would always get the biggest bike.



No comments:

Post a Comment